www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, October 06, 2005
I'm Back in Black!
Okay, seriously, I'm not a huge ACDC fan, but I am wearing black because I'm back from vacay (that's vacation, y'all), and I'm sad. It has been a crazy week, so I don't know that I'll be able to go back and comment on all your blogs, but I'm trying to at least read everything so I get caught up. Here's what happened:

Wednesday, September 28th, 2:00 AM - Power in our house goes out. I wake up to an eerily silent and pitch black house. I am used to computer, ceiling fan and air conditioner noises. There is nothing, nada, zilch. I can't go back to sleep because of the deafening silence. Power comes back on at 5 AM.

Thursday, September 29th, 7:00 PM - We are leaving for vacation tomorrow, so naturally I'm preparing to wash clothes, pack, etc. I'm eating dinner and decide to watch Joey and Will & Grace first.

Thursday, September 29th, 7:41 PM - I'm about 11 minutes into the live season premiere of Will & Grace. Power goes out. Again, nothing, nada, zilch. Silence. CRAP. My husband had clothes in the washer and dryer. CRAP. I haven't packed or done laundry. Hmmmm, I'm sure it will come on soon? I decide to run some last minute trip errands since I can't see much in our house anyway.

Thursday, September 29th, 8:45 PM - Get home from running errands. Still no power. Now it's really dark and starting to heat up in the house due to no AC and all the candles we have lit. Decide packing by candle light not safe. I could drip wax on clothes or start a fire.

Thursday, September 29th, 9:30 PM - Getting REALLY bored. Can't watch TV, can't listen to the radio, can't read by candlelight (my eyes are getting bad), can't sing, can't blog, can't surf the internet........so I pack by flashlight. This is really hard, BTW.

Thursday, September 29th, 10:30 PM - Okay, now it's really steamy in the house. It's humid, hot and starting to smell like dog. We have the windows open, but there is no breeze. Surely the power will come back on soon? I call the power company and leave a power outage notice on the automated system. Husband and I realize why people in the olden days have so many kids. Uh, there wasn't much to do but get it on.

Friday, September 30, 1:30 AM - Need sleep. Can't sleep. Everytime a dog barks outside, our dogs bark because the windows are open. This repeats every 30 minutes. Dog barks outside, our dogs bark---OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Friday, September 30, 3:30 AM - Call power company again. Woman who sounds like a skittish cat lets me know that there is damage to an underground line and they HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO REPAIR IT.

Friday, September 30, 4:30 AM - Vow to never get another dog.

Friday, September 30, 4:35 AM - Vow to find the person who makes their dog stay outside.

Friday, September 30, 7:00 AM - Call in to work. Can't see anything in the house, don't think I can get ready in the dark. I was only going in for a half day anyway.

Friday, September 30, 8:30 AM - Take car to get oil change and inspection. Husband takes dogs to the kennel.

Friday, September 30, 10:30 AM - Return home, still no power, clothes still in the washer/dryer. Things in freezer starting to leak. Starting to get uncomfortably warm. Power company estimates another 4-6 hours until power issue resolved. Holy hell, it's hot.

Friday, September 30, 10:34 AM - Vow to leave this humid, godforsaken hell hole.

Okay, I'll spare you the blow by blow from now on. I realize we have it pretty good. Long story short, we had to throw out all the food in the fridge and freezer, and the power came back on about 1:30 PM on Friday. We finished the laundry and left for our trip. We had a fabulous time in Ruidoso, NM. It was in the 60s and no humidity. I want to move there. It is so quaint and lovely. We didn't have internet access, so I couldn't blog or check y'all's blogs, which was a good thing (no offense to you, but we felt removed from the world and it was a great feeling).

I'll post some pictures tonight! It's good to be back!


6 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Welcome back! I just popped over here to see when your vacay was over, and was pleasantly surprised by a new post. Power outages suck, especially for that long.

Barking dogs suck. Wait til you have a kid and they bark just as you get her to sleep. "you're going to the pound" is said a lot in our house.

Blogger Tammy said...

Wow!! I hate the power company. I once asked them if they were going to buy my groceries because my power was out for so long and the food in the fridge was out. "Um, no" was the response. Jerks!

Welcome back!!

Sounds like you had at least a good time while away. That sounds like an awful night before though. I liked the way you did the play by play. I could imagine the whole mess, like a funny Seinfeld episode. Great site.

Blogger SuburbanMom said...

ooh, the power thing is kinda wierd. That would creep me out. Glad you had fun on vacay. I love the southwest :)

Blogger Norman said...

Wow! You are sooo nice. I think if the power went out at my house, I wouldn't have had to CALL the power company..they would have HEARD the outraged screams coming from my house. I am so not the Little House on the Prairie type!! LOL

Thanks for visiting my blog!

norman

Blogger Mama Duck said...

Hey there!! Welcome back! No power? So. Very. Primitive.

So....getting it on, huh?!?! Newlyweds... ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home