www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Friday, September 09, 2005
Advice Needed
I don't know how many of you have dogs or are dog lovers, but I am very sad right now. I have been crying most of the evening.

I have seen many an ad for dogs that people are voluntarily giving away. I always judge them. I think that they are lazy and must not have truly cared for their dog. We are now facing the possibility that we will have to give our female dog away. We will be that person. We love her dearly. We have cared for her well.

The problem is that she has gotten increasingly aggressive, and we have seen our other dog become aggressive, too, from being around her. When we got her, we noticed that she was dog-aggressive to strange dogs (not to our other dog), but now it has started with people, and the cats which is NOT okay with me. I have visions of her killing one of the cats in front of me. For those of you who don't know, my sister and I witnessed one of her cats being killed by her neighbor's pit bull, and it was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on obediance training, and it didn't help at all. We cannot have people over to our house, and if we do, the dogs have to go in their crates and end up barking the entire time. People who used to be deemed "okay" by the dogs, are now being growled and barked at. This would all be fine if they were 5 pound chihuahuas, but they are 40-50 pound dogs. They look and sound scary.

I can't imagine giving her up, but it might be a reality if she doesn't shape up. If any of you know people experienced with dogs, please forward my link on to them. I'm at my wits end. The only positive is that the rescue organization from which we adopted her insists that you give back any dog that you can't keep, so I know she will go back to a good foster home. I'm just plain sad. We don't have kids, so the dogs ARE our kids. And they are so sweet to us. As I type, she is chasing her tail. She is just so damn cute.

Any thoughts?


3 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

So sad. My Audrey has aggression problems too. I can't take her around other dogs and she barks non-stop at strangers in or near our house. I have had her for 6 years (since she was a puppy), so I could never give her up.

At least you know your dog will be cared for if you have to give her back to the rescue group. There are a couple of trainers in town that specialize in aggression training. Lee Mannix is one, and I will have to check on the name of the other one. YOu may have already tried that though.

I am sorry. I know how hard this must be.

Blogger Tammy said...

I don't have any advice, but I thought I would give you a {HUG}. I'm so sorry :(

Blogger Mama Duck said...

That sucks.

I think Dunkin up there had some good ideas.

You are not giving up and one of THOSE people...we all have circumstances that direct what actions we must take.

((hugs))

Post a Comment

<< Home