www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Monday, July 24, 2006
Lifer
I stole this from SFG, and I totally knew how it would turn out. I'm such a lifer right now it's not even funny. In my defense, I'm currently taking a class on finding my perfect career and so far, it has been pretty interesting. The first class basically reaffirmed that that I need to be doing something creative or working for a company that does something creative. Nothing about my current job is creative except for the rare Powerpoint presentation I create every now and then. In the end, those jobs usually get ruined because the person for which I'm creating the presentation has waited until the last minute and is in a total hurry, therefore squashing any creativity I could have used. I want to go back to school, but the prospect of going back at nights, taking one or two classes at a time, and taking 6 years to get my masters is a hideous proposition to me. I like things to be efficient. I like succintness. I'm impatient. Working part time isn't an option, either. Gah. I should have gone straight through when I was in my 20s. I never understood why people did that, and I now I TOTALLY get it.


I'm a Lifer!

To you, a job is what pays the bills. You put in your hours, follow the rules, and then go home. Occasionally, you consider quitting, but then you think of how bad the job market is and you reconsider. Whatever happiness you get, you get from your life outside the workplace. Relationships, family, hobbies, and outside creative pursuits are what really matter to you. You're probably taking this test at work because you don't have anything better to do.

Talent: 33%
Lifer: 67%
Mandarin: 28%

Take the Talent, Lifer, or Mandarin quiz.



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard going to school part time and working full time. You're right in all that you can get is about two classes in the evening (some degree plans offer more classes at night though - just not mine). I've been doing it a long time but I know when I'm done I'll be proud of myself for sticking to it when I wanted to quit (like right now).

Start at a community college. It's cheaper and some of them do offer more evening classes. My cousin who lives in Austin is managing about four classes in the evening right now (some I think might be Saturday morning classes).

Blogger Me said...

I hear ya... when we were moving to this city/state 1 1/2 years ago I thought it 'might' be the perfect time to return to school (at 34) to get my teaching degree.

Problem? Being a full time Mom of three, plus going to school plus working part time sounded WAY too hard and would TAKE TOO LONG.

I want it all and I want it NOW. :)

Blogger Rhonda said...

I'm a lifer too--54%. (31% talent, 44% mandarin)

Blogger Tammy said...

Ditto.

Blogger Kami said...

I was like 60-something % talent, but I lucked out, in being able to turn my hobby into my job, and in having a hubs who "brings home the pork," so that I CAN do the gig I want.

:)

Sorry your job sucks ass.

Blogger Lisa said...

Yeah. I wish I would have changed majors when I wanted to. But at the time I was just DYING to get out of my parents' house and I was in my senior year...

Blogger The Old Lady said...

While I would miss you TERRIBLY, I do hope you find what fulfills you!

Haha I am totally a lifer too! Kinda sad actually... Why can't we all have jobs we love?!?

Blogger Unknown said...

Talent: 46%
Lifer: 33%
Mandarin: 49%

Gosh darn. According to this, I want to change the world and believe that I can. Yea me! I can roll with the punches having survived 4 layoffs. It all works out in the end. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Post a Comment

<< Home