www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007
¿Qué es mi problema?
I know I want to go to grad school, but for the life of me, I don't know what kind of degree I would get. It's really frustrating to have the desire to go back to school, but having zero clue what kind of degree to work for. I have a Bachelor in Business Administration (gag) (I hated every minute of that damn degree) (except art history, child development and anatomy...yes, of course NOW I see why the business thing wasn't really for me...now, when it's too late.) (Don't I look SO HAPPY to be done with my hideous business classes? I'm serious, I was elated, high on life)

and all that really sets me up for is an MBA (double gag) so it seems I would have to take a ton more undergrad classes to even be able to start a graduate degree program. Sigh. Here's my pros and cons list, if you will.

First on the list (and these are in no particular order) is nursing (don't you laugh!) (I'm really only worried about the vomit and possibly giving enemas, but think about all the cool medical stuff you would see! And wearing scrubs! Joy!) because I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a child, but it never really seemed possible? I think it's the chemistry courses that freak me out. UT offers a masters in nursing to people who have undergraduate degrees in something totally unrelated. Hmmmm, it's like being a doctor, but not.


Next on the list of possibilities is a Graphic Design associates degree/certificate from our community college. I know that you have to have a portfolio (and rightly so) to get into a Master of Fine Arts program at UT, so that's out. Since I kinda do this for a living, this probably makes the most sense, buuuut, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Graphic Design kids at ACC are rather proud of themselves. I'm NOT looking forward to the pretentiousness of young "artists" (yes, I picture all of them having buttons such as this on their annoyingly trendy messenger bags.)

Next is pilates certification. It would be cool and I love pilates and I have a knack for it and I feel really good about myself after I've done it, but there's the getting up in front of a class and teaching thing that I'm not so keen on. I have terrible stage fright and can't stand oral speaking. (Yes, I said oral.) Teaching private lessons would be really cool, but I'm sure pilates teachers are a dime a dozen in Austin since we're kind of like a mini-hippie-California. For me, it would mostly be a personal achievement. For those of you who don't know me, that's me down there! (Ha!! Just a little joke for your Tuesday evening entertainment.)

And lastly, my other option is to do nothing. It seems that's what I'm best at? I'm good at thinking, but not doing. I'm not a do-er (stop laughing you dirty-minded hussies).

(Did I mention the part about how I hate writing? Yes, I get the irony that I'm writing on my blog right this very second. Totally different. I hate writing papers. I'm no good. Despise it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.)

So here's a question. If you've gone back to school, how did you know what you wanted to do with your life? Have you known forever, did it just come to you one day? Spill it.


10 Comments:

Blogger TheStolenOlive said...

After realizing, during student teaching, that I never really wanted to teach... I knew I was going to have to go back to school since I was graduating at the end of the semester with a BS in Education with a spec in Comp Sci.

I still ended up teaching for 3 miserable years. Then I tried to get a job with my degree since after all, I did major in Computer Science.

I was told to my face... "those than can do, those that can't teach - and if you couldn't cut it teaching, why would we want you?"

So, in 2005, I finally went to school for what I really wanted to do - culinary arts. I loved every minute of those 11 months before I was forced to take a medical leave. I'm physically not capable of going back and finishing that degree and it just kills me to know I can't do what I want.

But, I also know I have to go back to school and get some sort of Masters degree because I'm 33 and I can't support myself on "Administrative Assistant" jobs that I've found in BigD without needing help from my parents. It is so embarassing to admit that, but it's the truth.

And Administrative Assistant jobs are basically all I can get with my education degree.

My mother will be finished with her Masters of Accounting (she's a CPA - auditor) in August, and then I hope I can start mine when she is done. We can't really afford two Masters programs at the same time.

So... I've decided to get my Masters in Information Technology & Accounting. I have decided I want to do forensic accounting. Basically auditing but more detail and able to testify in court for things like Enron stuff.

Don't worry about the kids in the digital graphics classes. I was nervous going to culinary school but I wasn't the only student going back who already had a BS. If they are anything like the kids I went to culinary school with, they will look up to you and see that school will be much more important this time.

My grades were so much better there. I actually did my homework & studied... unlike when I was at Baylor - cause it just didn't matter to me as much as it does after you get older.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't tell you how awesome it is to hear someone else say they want to go to grad school, but don't know what for -- and have a list all over the map. i want to go to grad school too, but I just don't know what to go for. i'd like to be a vet, but I would need to take 1-2 years of undergrad prerequisites, so that's out. (Plus I'm not good with blood). I'd like to be a psychologist, but not sure if I'd like it enough to do it for the rest of my life. I'd like to be a yoga instructor, and I might just do that this winter.

I started a part time grad program in Government right out of undergrad because it was the logical next step after my degree in International Studies. I HATED IT and transferred to a Master of Liberal Arts program after the first semester. I loved every minute of the MLA program, but it's not exactly enhancing my "career" any... it was pretty much just for fun.

Blogger Kat said...

I too have pondered going back for my masters and been faced with the inevitable MBA as my choice of options.

Some times I want to scrap it all and start over and become a vet, other times I think it would be nice to go in a more creative business direction like marketing.

However, to date, I have not figured out what I want to be when I grow up - if I ever do, I'll let you know. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...I vote pilates, because THEN we could barter....you could be my pilates instructor/ass kicker...and I could be your massage therapist...since that's what I wanted to be back in the day, and went to school for...and then realized that not people shower/bath before a massage...and I was done with all that! But see, trade is good stuff.

Blogger Bella said...

I found my way over here from the DallasK's.

I've been pondering the same question.

Blogger Cara said...

Ok, I didn't exactly finish my degree. I've got over 112 hours of an elementary education degree and about 30 more hours of real estate courses (at least I actually have a license for that).

I would love to go back and finish, but I don't know that I want to finish my education degree. I'm really interested in graphic design, marketing and nutrition. So that's kinda all over the map, huh?

Sadly, since I'm lazy, I would probably end up doing the one that required the least amount of school work. I think I would really love to be a nutritionist, but like you, the thought of chemistry classes scare me.

Blogger Rhonda said...

Tell me about it sister. You are not alone. You know my story. I went to law school with no desire to be a lawyer, but it would the only thing I could figure out at the time.

If I could do it all over, I still don't know what I would do. I wish I could tell that you that you will figure it out one day.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God...you're making me hyperventilate...I'm not even done with THIS degree and everyone is talking about going back?

I've got enough college credit hours for several degrees. I think everyone never really finds out what they want to do. Just go back and take something and maybe you will find your way. Or that's what I'm hoping. I'll tell you when I graduate if this is really what I want to do (I suspect it's not).

I've actually thought that after this grown up degree (Information Systems) that I might go back and get my art degree...or my English degree...or my graphic artist...who knows.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...and night classes...so much better. Less attitudes, less cocky kids, more adults who work just like you do and are hoping this is something they want to do professionally.

Plus the teachers seem to give you a little bit of a break since they realize that you do have a life and have to work.

oh please no one knows. I firmly believe that. I still don't know what the heck I want to do. I love my photography but I am not going to school for that. I am a womens studies major, I love it but have no idea what I am going to do with it.

Good luck and it doesnt hurt to try different things.

Post a Comment

<< Home