www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005
We've Come So Far
I babysit for a family I have known for 5-6 years. The kids (two girls ages 9 & 10) were in my preschool class, and their dad got me my current job at the law firm. Anyway, last night I remembered an experience I had with them, and I thought I'd share it with you.

The three of us were watching an ABC Family movie about the trials and tribulations of fitting in when you're the new kid in town. There were the typical high school lunch room cliques, the jocks, the popular girls, the nerds, but there was an added bonus: there was a "gay" table. It was filled with gay high school boys. And they were considered cool.

First realization things have progressed. ABC family movies feature gay teens!!! Yippeee!!!

So the movie goes on, and the 10-year-old I'm babysitting says, "Why is that guy acting that way?" (one of the characters was a bit prissy.) Her younger sister says, "Oh, he's gay. He likes other boys." The older sister says, "Oh, okay." End of story. No saying it's wrong, no saying it's gross, just the simple truth---he's gay.

Second realization. This kid not only knows what "gay" means, but it's OKAY with her.

I don't know about you, but sex between a man and a WOMAN was not talked about in my family. I know for a fact gay people were never a topic of conversation in our house. I feel quite certain if it had been a topic, we would have been told it was wrong, immoral and nasty. My parents are great, don't get me wrong, but homosexuality is a touchy subject.

I know this was an isolated incident, but in that moment, I thought maybe, just maybe, if these kids are any indication of what's going on in this country, things might be headed in the right direction. A girl can hope, can't she?


4 Comments:

Blogger Fabnormal said...

That's VERY cool. I hope that by the time I have kids, it's even MORE acceptable. :)

Blogger Tammy said...

The discussion was always very open in my house. I had a gay aunt and uncle. And my brother was gay (not the one in yesterday's post).

Hopefully the way these kids are comfortable with it, others will be in the future. It is, however, up to their parents.

Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Oh I totally agree with you. That is very cool. I love that it wasn't even an issue.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Dammit Nap Queen, you are so dead on.
I have doubts as to whether or not this is indeed a trend, but I really hope it is.
I have this fear that in ten or twenty years this is going to turn into the next civil rights movement. The bible thumpers and christian fundamentalists aren't going to give up their homophobia easily.
Great post.

Post a Comment

<< Home