www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006
I Hate Cancer
My Grandmother, both of her parents and multiple siblings all died from pancreatic cancer. Her sister had part of her pancreas removed because the doctors found some suspicious areas on it. She passed away late last year. Both my Grandma and her sister were amazing women; frugal, strong, smart and funny, not to mention incredible seamstresses. My Grandma lived in the country, alone, for years. She sewed all her own clothes, grew all of her vegetables, fed horses and cows, but during the last six months of her life, she was helpless. She had to have round the clock care. It was horrible and terribly sad to watch such a kickass woman reduced to nothing.

In my opinion, pancreatic cancer is one of the scariest cancers. Once most people find out they have it, there's nothing that can be done. There's no suggested routine screening for it. Most people get screened when they start exhibiting symptoms. Only about 10% of all pancreatic cancers are thought to be hereditary, so given our history, you can bet my dad keeps up on the state of his pancreas. I'm getting close to 30, so I'm starting to worry more about diabetes and cancer.

Tonight, I went to a memorial service for my dad's best friend, R. He died this past Saturday from pancreatic cancer which he strongly fought for 3 years. 3 YEARS. That is unheard of in the pancreatic cancer world. He was 61, and left behind his wife, two daughters and a beautiful granddaughter (who really misses her Paw Paw Fish---R was a HUGE fisherman). I'm sad that R had to leave us. I'm sad for his family, my dad, for all his wonderful friends that showed up tonight to celebrate his life. I'm just plain sad.

I hate pancreatic cancer. I am scared of it and angry that it takes so many wonderful people away from those who love them. So, if you are so inclined, say a little prayer or think a happy thought for R's family. They need it.


13 Comments:

I HATE CANCER TOO!

It is always so sad to hear when people get cancer.

Blogger Spikey1 said...

I hate the C word as well. It has taken my family too! Prayers.

Blogger Tammy said...

CANCER SUCKS ASS!!

((((NAPPY))))

Blogger Lilah Mum said...

Me too! It seems strange that the strongest people we know are taken away by something horrible. My grandmother had multiple diseases through her life, but remained conscious, independent, and full of life until the last few minutes. Still my biggest hero.

Blogger Kami said...

Sorry. ((((HUGS))))

Blogger Rhonda said...

Cancer sucks! My thoughts are with your family and friends.

Blogger Kat said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Cancer definitely sucks.

(((HUGS)))

Blogger pack of 2 said...

UGH...I'm sorry!

Lots of happy thoughts & prayers coming your way!

Shelly

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

That is very sad.
I am scared of cancer and hate it as well!

Blogger Melanie said...

I've never known anyone with that type of cancer. I think all forms of cancer are just awful. And so scary.

Blogger Lisa said...

I am so scared of cancer. My hubby isn't. ANd that's because he's never watched someone battle it and waste away. I keep trying to get him to quit chewing tobacco. He's a smart guy but really stupid about this... He thinks it won't happen to him.

Blogger truckdriver_sefl said...

Sometimes life really is f..... up. My daddy got sick and died 12 years ago he was only 60 and I miss the hell out of him every day. As for your dads friends family I feel for them and they are for sure im my prayers.

Blogger Kether said...

I am so sorry. They will be in my prayers.
Your grandmother sounds like she was quite a woman!

Post a Comment

<< Home