www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, March 16, 2006
I Think I Miss Our Apartment - Updated
UPDATE - Sweet, we have a slab leak which is technically this: "When a structure is built on a concrete slab, the water lines are placed under the cement and due to soil acidity the copper can leak. This condition can lead to foundation problems, high water and electrical bills and structural damage to your home." Nice. So, on Monday, they're going to rip into the wall and find the leak to the tune of roughly $2500. That doesn't include the cost of new flooring or fixing the wall(s). Luckily, insurance will pay for most everything, but our deductible is $900 - the exact amount I just put toward out credit card. When it rains (or leaks) it pours.


For the past few days, the rockstar and I have been smelling a mildewy cat peeish smell in our "guest room". The reason I use quotes is because not one single, solitary guest has actually stayed in that room because everyone I know lives in Austin and doesn't need (nor want) to sleep in our stinky dog room.

Back to the point.

The door to that room is constantly shut (therefore pooling up the stink) because the dogs' crates (along with extra furniture, all my jewelry making supplies, my grandmother's china, two sewing machines, a lovely free armoire that my wonderful boss GAVE me, and a healthy dose of dog hair) are in there. Basically, it's an eyesore. Covered in pet hair. Now covered in stink. You really want to come over now, don't you?

Back to the point, again.

Everytime we opened the door to the room of doom, we smelled cat pee. We hate cat pee. It's the one smell you can never really get rid of completely. The rockstar swore it smelled more like mildew, but I swore it was cat pee.

Cut to tonight.

We decided we were going to move everything around to figure out where the horrid smell was coming from. As my husband moved a piece of furniture, he looked at me with a look of horror and said, "My sock is completely wet."

DOES.NOT.COMPUTE.

My brain is wondering why on God's green earth would his sock be wet? Was there that much cat pee? Had one of the cats learned how to open the door with her sweet kitty paws and used the carpet as her personal litter box? Had the iron (oh, yeah, the iron and ironing board as well as the vacuum cleaner are also in there) tipped over and spilled out mass quantities of water?


And then the light bulb appeared over my head. Ohhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttt. The wet spot is DIRECTLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL FROM OUR SHOWER. OUR SHOWER!!!! Are you connecting A and B people??? Fuck.

Fuck is right.

After further frantic investigation, the wetness continued under the bed and all the way to the opposite wall. And it's all mildewed. And it stinks. Really badly.

So I will be at home in the morning, waiting for the plumber to come out and tell me he's going to have to cut into the wall to check out the pipes.

Sometimes, I really want to move back to an apartment. Owning a house isn't all it's cracked up to be. Unless by cracked up, you're talking about EVERY FUCKING PIPE IN MY FUCKING HOUSE.


23 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Ummm... at least it's not PEE!?

Does that help? LOL. Raw sewage from the toilet... now that would be gross! LOL.

THAT SUCKS. I am looking forward to renting again. Old house maintence sucks!

Blogger Rhonda said...

That SUCKS! Apartments are nice but it is nice to have a "home" even if it is a bitch. Good luck.

Blogger Kami said...

Oohhhhhhh, no. SHIT.

Blogger roxie said...

Oh Sweet Baby Jesus That is Terrible. I often have fantasies about being a renter again because calling a landlord when something breaks is such sweet bliss. But I like being able to do whatever the fuck I want in and to my own house. Good luck kiddo!

Blogger Cara said...

Oh man that sucks! You and your plumber should be on a first name basis by now. Did it ruin the feet of any of your furniture?

Blogger Fabnormal said...

man, that has poop all over it. I am sorry man. HEY, next week, next Thursday, let's go have coffee, if you wanna....unless you drown in your house or something.

Blogger Lori said...

Oh man, that sucks. Not to be a downer, but if the previous owner did have a cat and it peed on the floor then the flooring getting wet could make it smell like that too.

Hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

Blogger Ruthie said...

Oh yeah, now I remember why I can't afford to own a house instead of renting.

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Yikes, good luck with that! Dealing with home repairs is the worst. Luckily in the year and a half that I've owned my condo my only "repair" has been replacing the garbage disposal. And paying to get back in after locking myself out. Twice.

My building did just pass a special assessment to replace our 40 yr old windows/sliding glass doors/elevators and some other exterior building work and I have to fork over $4800 suddenly...So yee hah for that. (At least the value of the unit will increase after it's all done?!)

Blogger Isabel said...

When you become a "homeowner" not only do you pay a mortgage...but you must pay for all home improvements. And believe you me, even on a brand new house...there are many improvements. Something is always breaking.

YUCK!

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (a la Office Space)...I've been there.

Sorry sweetie...at least the decuct. is only $900?

That still sucks.

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

AHHHHHHH!

Blogger pack of 2 said...

This is exactly why I like living in an apt...if it breaks...they fix it ...free.

Good luck with that.

Shangie

Blogger Norman said...

OY.

I have mucho mucho experience with slab/foundation leakage. To include jackhammering into said slab and tunnelling under my house. Can I help? Aside from loaning you $900 smackeroos that is? And feel lucky! We were out $15,000....

norm

Blogger Melanie said...

That just sucks. Crap.

Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, Nappy. That just suck ass. Big stinky ass. (no pun intended).

At least you can keep your sense of humor.

Blogger Bookhart said...

Yes, welcome to home ownership. I think the guy who installed our plumbing had been doing a little too much meth that day because we have leaks and weirdness galore. And our house is less than 5 years old.

Blogger Norman said...

Bookhart -

If your house is less than 5 years old, and you have that much plumbing trouble, then depending upon which state you live in, the builder is still responsible. Check into it!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUMMER!!

Blogger Lilah Mum said...

That sucks!!!!! This is why I hate having a house.

Blogger Kether said...

Omigosh I so know how you feel. One day I went outside to get the paper and the street was full of water. I was thinking, "man, that sucks for somebody" until I realised that somebody was me, and my water line had broken under the sidewalk and had flooded in front of my house.

Home ownership sucks the big one sometimes.

Blogger Kelly said...

Hey - that is how I got my new Kitchen!

Post a Comment

<< Home