www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006
LYLAS
Update: We had a lovely time at lunch. Not nearly enough time to catch up on 10 years, but we got through the most important things. We lead very different lives. She is a MOM through and through. She's all about PTA, Girl Scouts and dance classes, and you can tell she lives through her kids which is fine, but it's not me. I could tell she was very concerned with appearences (lots of talk about who lives in which neighborhoods, houses, junior league, etc.), but in a very non-judgmental, non-snobby way. Who knows if we'll get together again. Part of me thinks it might be better left alone.......

I'm having lunch today with my best friend from elementary and middle school. We met on the first day of kindergarten and were inseparable from that day on. She was the "bad" kid, I was the "good" one. We got into SO MUCH trouble together. As an adult, I can certainly see why my parents didn't exactly LOVE me hanging out with her. We eventually drifted apart in high school because, ahem, certain activities became more important to her. I haven't talked to or seen her in about 8 or so years, but I hear she is now married with two kids. She recently found my name in our reunion booklet, so she contacted me and here we are. I'm really looking forward to seeing her, but a tad nervous.... (Seriously, are those kid mullets? Methinks, they are.....)



23 Comments:

Have fun. That will be so cool!

Blogger Spikey1 said...

Cool. Have fun guys/

Blogger Unknown said...

That is very cool indeed, I'm sure you'll have plenty to talk about!

Blogger pack of 2 said...

I would be nervous too. Have and a great time and I can't wait to hear how it went.

Angie

Blogger Unknown said...

How adorable is that picture! Have fun!

Blogger Kat said...

That will definitely be interesting! Hope all goes well! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Blogger Tammy said...

Um, yea. Kid mulletts.

Have fun!

Blogger roxie said...

Nice mullets!!!

Blogger Kami said...

Look at you two!

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

That is so exciting! I recently got in tough with one of my childhood pals and met up with her- it turned out wonderful and I'm glad we reconnected.
Hope it goes well!

Blogger pack of 2 said...

It's always weird to meet people from your past. My friend from HS contacted me a few yrs ago...we talked 3 or 4 times & I haven't talked to her for more than a yr.

I was glad to hear from her though...she was an awesome girl.

Shelly

Blogger Melanie said...

I hate it when it ends up weird and you are in two different places. That always makes me sad.

Blogger Doug Bagley said...

Ah, what a cute pic. Glad y'all could catch up.

Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Oh my! can't wait to hear how it goes.

Blogger Bookhart said...

I continue to value a friendship with a high school friend--she and I drifted apart for years, pursued very different lives, and then ended up being on the same wavelength again. Which is cool. On the other hand, I have friends from high school with whom making conversation is just painful.

Blogger Lisa said...

Isn't it wierd to see how people change over the many, many years?

Blogger Me said...

The AFTER comment: Ahhhh, I have one of those friends too. She and I connected about 2 months ago for a short couple hours at the mall (with some of our collective kids). She was all about name dropping of our previous friends. Status, homes, money meant everything to her - but like you said; in a nice way.

We'll stay in touch, loosely...

Blogger roxie said...

re: update.
Sometimes things ARE better left alone. But now you know and you don't have to wonder. It just sounds like your paths have wildly diverged and that, my friend, is just fine.

Blogger Kami said...

re: the update:

Bummer. I know those moms. Yikes. Sorry. :(

Blogger Robyn said...

My best friend from middle school and high school was always much different than I was(read:worse) and we keep in touch, but as time goes on we definitely are not becoming more alike, but rather even more different. It's interesting to see what kind of adults the kids you use to know become.

Blogger Kat said...

Well that's a bummer that ya'll are in such different places. It's so interesting to see how people change over time.

Blogger Lilah Mum said...

It's nice to get together, but it's almost never the same.....

Blogger Unknown said...

Bummer...at least you know now.

Sometimes friendships are indeed left in the past where they flourished.

Post a Comment

<< Home