www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006
The Ride
I guess by now you know I survived! Here's the day in photos.

It rained really hard the night before, and was still raining when I got up at 5 am. I was a little worried, but it stopped about 5:30 and turned out to be a gorgeous day. Here's my car clock as I left my house:


It's about a 45 minute drive to Krause Springs, so when we got there, the sky looked like this:

We parked got our bikes ready and walked over to the main pavilion to eat breakfast. After a breakfast taco, banana and yogurt/granola/fruit combo, we started to line up to head out:


It was absolutely gorgeous. It was sunny and clear and, thank god, not humid after such a torrential downpour the night before. I love how this ride includes all ages, shapes, sizes, athletic ability. My sister and I were marveling about how we can walk around in spandex shorts that include crotch padding and not feel the least bit uncomfortable.

Here's the first pit stop. We fill up on more gatorade and Clif bars. This is where we also met a man who was smuggling a panini in his backpack. It became a running joke and, well, you just had to be there:


Our trusty bikes taking a break:


Some good ole Texas scenery. Nothing like a Loose Livestock warning:

Here I am in all my spandex-y, helmet-y glory:

Brush fire at mile 22. That was nice on the lungs:


Riding out after the lunch pit. We had hummus sandwiches, pasta salad, cookies and more gatorade. And more cookies. And maybe even more cookies.


And here is a sign we saw as we were leaving the lunch pit:

Yeah, it says, "Active Underground Mines: Blasting Area". Great.

I don't have any more pictures from the actual ride, but my parents came out for the closing ceremonies and dinner. Here are some pictures of the memorial signs which were made from memory tags that we made for our jerseys and wore during the ride:

It was a very moving ceremony where they read out the names of loved ones that have died from AIDS. There was some visible emotion and very loud crying going on.

I just love this ride. It's so cool, the people are great and so far this year, it has raised almost $470,000 for local AIDS services. 75% of that money will go directly to the beneficiaries which is unheard of.

I cannot adequately thank everyone who sponsored me. You are so awesome. I would like to thank a certain someone named Lori who noticed that I was $5 away from meeting my goal, and donated a SECOND time so that I would meet my $1000 goal. Thank you, thank you, thank you.



22 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I've been waiting for the pictures...
You look awesome in your spandexy, helmety self!!
What a great experience you had!

HA HA I'M FIRST!!

Blogger Lilah Mum said...

Wow!! Fantastic. The whole story brought tears to my eyes. Great cause, great job, and great pictures! And, yeh, you look totally hot in spandex. (:

Blogger Kami said...

AWESOME!!!

Hey, was that guy smuggling grapes, too?

Again, I am just so proud of you. I think it's awesome.

Blogger Elizabeth said...

That is so awesome that you did that. I bet the ceremony was a tearjerker for sure.

Blogger Fabnormal said...

Hooray!! So proud of you girl! Is it wrong that the thing I love mosts about rides/walks/races is all the snacks they provide?

:)

Blogger Tammy said...

I must say that I'm so very glad that while you are doing this ride for a great cause, that you also thought of us bloggers and brought your camera along.

Blogger roxie said...

dude, we rock

Blogger Kat said...

That's so awesome! Way to go girls! You do look awesome in your spandex and helmet! :)

Blogger Unknown said...

Yahooooo! Looks like fun...and admittedly I got tired just reading about that!

I need a nap.

And maybe some of those cookies you mentioned.

Blogger Lisa said...

You look fab! So happy and proud of you!

I was wondering how it went! Way to go! It did look like a perfect day!

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

Congrats on completing your ride successfully! And hey, any time you can wear bike shorts and feel good about it, you're a winner.

Blogger Bookhart said...

What a beautiful day you had! And I love your pose in front of the bike.

Blogger Me said...

Now that I've lived vicariously through you and your photos, I've finished my 'exercise' for the year! :)

Blogger Kether said...
Blogger Melanie said...

That's just awesome. Congratulations! Maybe I could convince myself to ride a bike more often if I knew there were food stops involved.

Blogger Norman said...

The whole thing sounds really really cool, except for the food. You ate some really weird stuff!! Hummus sandwiches? Wazzat? Clif bars?!! LOL!!! I'll take PB&J any day!! But then I'm freaky when it comes to food. I'm not too sure what a Panini is, but i've HEARD of it!! But hummus?

Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Hi. Just met you. WAY TO GO!

Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Well, actually I have lurked once or twice and I don't THINK that I posted. Hmmm. The brain doesn't click much this late at night.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics. Congratulations on completing your ride!

The last long ride I did was a fifty mile ride-a-thon in Santa Barbara. But that was before I was married, and waaay before I had kids.

Now? I get tired just rolling the bike out of the garage.

*sigh*

Blogger Kelly said...

Awesome - I'm so proud of you!

Blogger Isabel said...

you...are...amazing!

Post a Comment

<< Home