www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Thursday, September 28, 2006
Last Day
Tomorrow is my last day at a firm I've been with for five years. I interviewed on 9/11 which I will never forget, and have held two different jobs there, one of which was passed down to me from TKW. I tried to fill her shoes as best I could, but people really loved her (of course). There are so many cool people I'm going to miss, but unfortunately that doesn't make up for the handful of truly hideous people I have to deal with.

I worked it so that I have next week off, which is also my birthday week, and I just booked a two day trip to Chicago to see Weezie and my friend D, whom I met on my first day at the firm. She's now an attorney living in Chicago and I haven't seen her in over a year! I got a round trip, nonstop flight and one night at a hotel downtown for $311 TOTAL, fees and everything. It's my b-day present to myself. I hate to fly (note: I usually have to medicated AND drunk to fly), and would normally never do something so last minute like this, but I'm trying to live life to the fullest and not live in fear of everything. Speaking of fear, I don't like salons and makeup counters because I always feel judged. But today, I walked into an Aveda concept salon I've been wanting to check out (they had a few walk in appts), and got my hair cut and colored. I LOVED the woman who cut my hair, and I think she did a good job! I went dark again. I think it makes my eyes show up more (yes my kitchen is orange, and I like it that way).



The biggest part of ridding myself of fear was my job change. I used to work with a guy who left the firm about two years ago. A job recently opened up where he works now, so he recommended me and I got the job. It's a company that does trial support and graphic design. I'm going to be trained to do everything, but mostly the graphic design because there is only one person doing it, and she is overwhelmed. It's more money, a better work environment, plus I get an office with a door (it's glass, but whatever). I still don't feel like I deserve everything that has happened over the past couple of weeks, but I'm trying to change that. I was so scared to take the plunge and do something different, but there were NO cons, only pros. I am freaked out about my first day, but also so excited.

I feel bad because I haven't been commenting very much. Everyone at work is trying to squeeze every last ounce of work from me, so when I get home I don't even want to look at a computer screen. There are some of you (ahem, Shell) that I've been meaning to email, but I just don't have the mental energy right now. Hopefully after my week off, I will feel a little more like myself. Thank you so much for all your sweet comments and emails. It truly makes a gal feel special.


18 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Ooh, I love your hair!! I just went darker too.

Enjoy your new changes. I hope you'll be happier at your new job.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your hair looks great. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun but don't get too drunk on the plane--you won't want to ruin your first day there hung over.
Cute hair too,

Blogger Lori said...

First: the hair color rocks. I just went a bit darker too. Good look for the fall/winter months ahead!

Second: my kitchen/great room is the same color as yours! Kind of like a toasted pumpkin color. Love it!

Third: congrats on making the switch. It's scary but exhilarating, isn't it? It sounds like you took a lot of time to think about it before just jumping into it. I'm sure you made the right choice and I know you'll do great!

Happy Friday!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH! YOU UPDATED! Girl, I've been clicking on this page every day hoping to see what was going on with the old/new jobs and such.

Now - the plane and hotel for that amount!? You did good! Enjoy that birthday! Looks like life is going your way.... enjoy the ride!

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I am going to do this in bullets since, well, it's for you...

-You deserve all this cool stuff and don't you forget it.
-You did extremely fab on the price for the trip.
-I happen to think the orange kitchen looks pretty darn cool. I am just not that brave.
-Loving the hair.
-Enjoy birthday week, sistah!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the hair. I like my hair dark too, but I have a hard time convincing stylists not to go overboard with the highlights. Possibly I need to stop going to a stylist who keeps his own hair platinum blonde.

(Congrats on the new job! Good luck and kudos for taking the plunge. Sounds like a great opportunity!)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hyperventilating...you're flying...can't you just drive there? Eeeekkkk!!

Just keep repeating to yourself...I will have fun...I will have fun...the plane will not crash...I will have fun...No, that guy does not have a gun...I will have fun...

Love the hair. Now we look like sisters...except you're the skinny one.

Girl...come do my resume and submit it to the three jobs people have been asking me to interview for. I'm scared too but I also feel like maybe it is time to move on since so many people are asking.

Your hair cut and color looks fabulous!

I am so glad to hear you are getting away and able to enjoy this. Everyone at your new job is going to love ya!

Blogger Tammy said...

So, will you be bringing the roaches with you to the new job? You know, to make you feel comfortable? :)

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow~! I agree that the new color will make your eyes pop. Where did you get this done? It was free? Did I read that right?

Thank goodness you are breaking free from the shackles! Have a great trip. Have a great first day. Have a happy birthday ( I have one this month too) and good luck.

Blogger Unknown said...

OH and I'm always looking for free lance work. Will you be trained in Quark?

If you need any assistance, shoot me an email.

Blogger Lilah Mum said...

That is sooo awesome and exciting. They wouldn't have given you the job if you weren't up for it!! And it's cool to hear about D - I often wonder about people over there....

Blogger Kami said...

Oooh, love the hair AND the kitchen. I can't wait to hear about the new job!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

e-mail me the name of the salon and the lady who cut your hair. can't wait to see your new 'do in person.

Blogger Isabel said...

I'm so happy for you. And the trip...will be awesome. Just don't think about the "flying" part of it!

Blogger Kelly said...

You know what? You absolutely deserve the very best! Everyone does - enjoy it! Best wishes in your new job and enjoy that trip!

Blogger Melanie said...

Congratulations on the new job!

Post a Comment

<< Home