www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Nap Queen. Make your own badge here.

Monday, December 19, 2005
Toilet Tips
-When reinstalling a toilet, wear gloves to scrape the old wax ring and gunk off the underside of the bowl. They are really gross. Seriously gross. Dark sludge gross. Like, "what am I touching" gross.

-When remodeling bathrooms, make sure you have at least one toilet available. Let's just say we had some creative places to, um, relieve ourselves this weekend. That is all I will say.

-Make sure your floor is level when you put in a toilet. We now have a slow trickle. Crap. I was up until midnight listening to the drip, drip, drip of a slow leak into the bowl. Apparently, the old toilet had a shim underneath to keep it level. Double crap. The new one has already been bolted down.

-When you have a large gaping hole in the floor the leads directly to the sewer, stuff the hole with a rag. Otherwise, you might wake up to a dog whining at SQUEAKY NOISES COMING FROM THE HOLE, and think to yourself while you're half asleep that you SWEAR sewer rats are coming up the pipes to eat said dog.

-Bottom line (bottom! ha!), be very, very grateful to the wonderful person who invented indoor plumbing. Especially during winter. Also, thank you for privacy fences. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
***************************************************************
Edited 12/20 - The leak into the bowl has apparently fixed itself and we have a perfectly functioning toilet. Nice. Things will be back to normal once we install the second toilet. Too bad Home Depot can't keep matching toilet bowls and tanks in stock.


14 Comments:

Blogger Spikey1 said...

Wow, sounds like a real shity job! Get it? I kill myself sometimes. Funny how you mentioned this post... yesterday it took my like 30 minutes just to change the while flush handle! Im sooooo not handy!

Blogger Kami said...

Oh, Nappy. There are people you can call to do this *shit*, honey.

Blogger Isabel said...

Being that I work in construction and have worked on some wastewater treatment plants...I am with you. Thank goodness for plumbing.

There is a total science to it.

I just don't want to have to think about it once I flush it.

Blah.

Blogger pack of 2 said...

OMG...LOL...that sounds like a great weekend!!!!

Shelly

Blogger Nap Queen said...

Ah yes Kami, but that also costs $$$!! We're going to be spending about $500 on vanity and baseboard installation, not to mention the actual cost of the vanities :( I so do not understand why people become plumbers. Not one bit. GRODY.

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can tell you why - plumbers have to have no college education and make more than you and me and my husband put TOGETHER. I would walk through shit for that. Well, probably not but ya know...

Blogger Fabnormal said...

I know who I am coming to when I need some plumbing help.

Blogger Tammy said...

Oh. No.

Can it be fixed?

Blogger roxie said...

don't forget sisters who live nearby :)

Blogger roxie said...

p.s. thanks for the apple cake, you can use my potty anytime if you bring me warm-from-the-oven treats like that!

Blogger Mama Duck said...

Just wanted to add to not screw on the bolts too tightly or you can crack the whole damn thing and have to start over.

Blogger Lisa said...

So happy you have a toilet now. And so very, very happy it works and that you fixed that whole toilet being level issue. Yuck.

The wax rings are disguisting. Even the clean ones look icky.

Congrats. :-)And I love that your entry was loaded with puns.

Blogger Kat said...

I'm with Kami, expensive or not, I'd gladly pay to have someone else do it. Glad it's all fixed now. :0

Blogger Zoe said...

Thank god my brother is a plumber, but I'll keep your tips in mind should he stop speaking to me.

Post a Comment

<< Home